Android BYOD Profile for Employee Owned Devices
Device Profiles are a great way to streamline your enrollment process. Like Device Profiles for Corporate devices, you can create BYOD Profiles for employee owned android devices. BYOD Profiles are a great way to unify all your policies under one entity which then can be assigned to a QR Code configuration or a User Group.
At a high level a BYOD profile offers the following policies,
- Application Policy: Select the applications that are to be installed in the secure work container.
- Browser Shortcuts: Select the browser shortcuts that will be shown in MobiLock workplace, to provide your employees with quick bookmarks.
- Restrictions: Choose and control the finer security policies that should be applied on a employee owned device.
Before You Begin
✅ You must have a valid MobiLock Pro account.
✅ Completed the Android for Work setup.
Creating a BYOD Profile
- Sign In to MobiLock Dashboard and navigate to Device Management ➞ Device Profiles.
- Click on Create New Profile in the upper right corner.
- From the Android tab, select Personal (BYOD) option. Enter a name for your new Profile and click SUBMIT, to see the profile creator window.
- The first section in the profile creator window helps you decide the application policy. Enable all the applications that you would like to be installed and used in Work Apps as shown below and click NEXT once done.
- The next section is the BROWSER SHORTCUTS section, where you can select the previously whitelisted websites. The visible shortcuts will appear in MobiLock Workplace as bookmarks so that your users can easily navigate to them. Click NEXT once you are done.
- The last section is the RESTRICTIONS section which gives you a wide range of policy controls. Configure the policies as per your requirement. The section is divided into sub-sections allowing you define various policies,
Allow Screenshot of Works App
Control if the user is allowed to take screenshot or share screen of the Work Apps.
Allows work apps to access device camera.
Allow keyguard Fingerprint Sensor
Choose if users can configure a fingerprint based unlock on the lock-screen.
Allow Keyguard Trust Agent State
Choose if users can pair their Bluetooth device as trust agents to auto-unlock the device.
Allow Keyguard Underacted Notifications
Choose if unredacted notifications are allowed on Lock screen. This can prevent possible loss of critical information vis Lock screen notifications.
Allow Adding Google Accounts
Allow users to add Google accounts on the Work Profile side.
Allow Add Accounts
Allow users to add non-Google accounts on the Work Profile side.
Allow Unknown Sources
Allow users or other applications to install applications from Unknown sources on the Work side.
Allow Installing Applications
Allow users to install applications from Play Store on the Work side.
⚠ This disables the app installations from MobiLock Dashboard as well.
Allow Uninstalling Applications
Allow users to uninstall applications on the Work side.
⚠ This disables the app uninstallation/removal from MobiLock Dashboard as well.
Allow clipboard between Managed/Unmanaged Apps
Choose if the user's are allowed to copy/paste data between their Work Apps and Personal apps.
Allows Work Apps to Access Documents from Personal Apps
Choose if Work Apps can access documents from the personal app side. This let's user
Allow Personal Apps to Access Documents from Work Apps
Choose if Personal applications can access documents of the work applications.
Allow Personal Apps to Share Documents with Work Apps
Choose if user can share personal documents using the work applications
Allow Work Apps to Share Documents with Personal Apps
Choose if the user can share work app documents with the personal applications.
Allow Work Contact's caller ID info to Show in Dialer
Choose if a work contact can appear in the personal dialer application.
Allow App Widgets to be added to Home Screen
Choose if user can add home screen widgets for work applications.
Share Enterprise contacts with Bluetooth Devices
Choose if user can share their work contacts via Bluetooth devices.
Allow Work Contacts in Personal Contacts App
Choose if the work contacts appear in the personal contacts app.
Choose if GMail application should be allowed on the work side.
⚠ For the GMail application to appear in MobiLock Workplace, enable GMail in SELECT APPS section of Device Profile.
Choose if YouTube application should be allowed on the work side.
⚠ For the YouTube application to appear in MobiLock Workplace, enable YouTube in SELECT APPS section of Device Profile.
Choose if Chrome should be allowed on the work side.
⚠ For the Chrome application to appear in MobiLock Workplace, enable Chrome in SELECT APPS section of Device Profile.
- Exchange Settings: Use this setting to configure an Exchange account on the device. You can select a previously created exchange configuration. Please refer to our Exchange configuration document for details.Note: The GMail client is configured with the given configuration. Currently GMail app does not allow the exchange configuration to be unpublished. So if you want to un-publish at a later point, you would have to publish a dummy/invalid account to the devices.
- WiFi Settings: This option allows you to choose a WiFi configuration for your BYOD profile. This would create the connection on your BYOD devices but will not enforce it.
- Work Profile Password: This section allows you to enforce a separate password for your Work Apps. This is quite useful if you don't want to enforce a Device Level Password for your employees. This ensures that the access to Work Apps is protected by a password. Once the Require Passcode is enabled, you can configure the Password Type and Password Management policy. The options available are,
- Select Passcode type: Choose between numeric or alpha-numeric passcode.
- Minimum Passcode length: Provide a minimum length of the password. Note that although 4 is an allowed option, on some devices the minimum accepted value is 6 and in these cases it will default to 6.
- Enforce Complex Passcode: Enable this option if you want to enforce a complex passcode. Simply enabling this enforces the user not to have a ascending or a descending order of numbers or characters like for ex: 1111 OR abcd1.
- If the password type is selected as Alphanumeric and complex password is enforced, then additional complexity parameters can be specified as given below,
Minimum number of symbols
Enforces a minimum number of symbols in the password.
Minimum number of lower-case characters
Enforces a minimum number of lower case characters in the password.
Minimum number of alphabets
Enforces a minimum number of alphabets in the password.
Minimum number of upper-case characters
Enforces a minimum number of upper-case characters in the password.
Minimum number of digits
Enforces a minimum number of digits in the password.
- Password Expiry Period: Select how often the user is forced to change the password.
- Maximum Password History List: Select the number of historical passwords that the user cannot use while setting a new password.
- Maximum Failed Attempts to Factory Reset: Select after how many failed attempts work-profile should be removed. This WILL NOT factory reset the device. It removes the work apps and all work data.
- Set Idle Time for Auto lock: Choose an idle time after which the device should auto-lock.
- Compliance: Choose the Compliance levels and the actions to be taken for compromised devices. Refer our SafetyNet Attestation guide for complete reference.
- Once you have configured the various sections click on CREATE PROFILE to create the profile. Once the profile is created it starts appearing in the Device Profile listing view with a User badge next to it, indicating that this is a BYOD profile.
Once you have created a Device Profile, to apply it to devices, you can do the following,
- Create a QR Code Enrollment Configuration: This will make sure that any user's using the QR Code for enrollment will get these policies by default.
- Assign to a User Group: This will apply this profile to all the Android devices of the users in that group.