Custom Payload for Mac(macOS)
Configuration profiles streamline the process of setting up a large number of devices. Custom calendar and email settings, network settings (like WiFi and VPN settings), certificates, and device restrictions, are some of the properties you can configure using configuration profiles. Scalefusion provides IT Admins the option of deploying configuration profiles onto the devices.
By using the Custom Settings feature of a Scalefusion Mac Profile, IT Admins can use a top-notch XML editor and push a Custom Payload directly to the devices. Hence, with this admins will now be able to add those features for Mac and iOS which are not yet offered under Scalefusion.
In this document we will understand how to configure and push a custom settings payload to the device.
- Understanding of Apple MDM Protocol
- Ability to create XML payloads basing on Profiles created using Apple Configurator 2 or as listed here.
- Sign In to Scalefusion and navigate to Device Profiles.
- Select a MacOS device profile and edit or create a new Mac profile to start adding the custom settings. Navigate to Custom Settings.
- Send Payload on User Channel: On Mac certain payloads need to be applied only at user level. To apply payload at user level, enable this setting by toggling it ON. Otherwise, the payloads are sent on device channel which are then applied to all users on the device.
- Select Conflict Resolution Method: In case the custom payload that you upload conflicts with rest of the settings in the Device Profile (like Wifi, Exchange settings etc) this setting decides which one to use to resolve those conflicts. The options are,
- Custom Payload Wins over Device Profile Settings: The settings in custom payload are given preference over Device Profile.
- Device Profiles Wins over Custom Payload: The settings in Device Profile are given preference over Custom Payload.
Select an option basing on your payload, if you want to override what is being set from Device Profile choose Option a else choose Option b
- Custom Payload: This is the actual payload editor and you can either choose to Type In your payload or Import a xml file using IMPORT FILES option.
- Payload Editor: Here is an example of a payload for configuring the dock.
- Validate: Once you have entered the payload click on VALIDATE to make sure there are no other syntactical/validation issues.
- ALL OK: If the entered payload is all good a green tick is displayed on the top-right section of editor.
- ERRORS: If there are errors then a red cross is displayed on the top-right section of editor and the first error will be displayed below the editor,
- Save: Once you have made the required changes, click on SAVE to save the changes and push it to all the devices associated with this profile.
Custom Properties in Custom Payload
Custom Properties defined for devices and users, can also be used in custom payloads.
- Use $device.custom_property_key or $user.custom_property_key and they would be replaced with the device or user specific value.
- You can also use pre-defined keys like $user.email, $user.name, $user.contact_no, $device.imei_no, $device.serial_no, $device.id , $device.name etc. The properties can be used only for the Value/Data fields in the custom payload and not for the Key field.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or need support on using this feature.