Two Step Activation of Android Devices
As an organization looks to manage Company Owned devices, there might be cases where you setup a device and hand off to your employees or workers but would not want to activate the Scalefusion client till a later point of time.
Or, if you are sharing the enrollment QR Code with a large number of employees you may want to approve the devices as they enroll, instead of the devices getting activated automatically after being enrolled.
Scalefusion's two step activation for Android devices, helps achieve these and many such scenarios wherein you may choose whether the device should be locked or remain unlocked even after they are enrolled.
The document explains this feature in detail.
Before you Begin
- Have a valid Scalefusion Dashboard account
- Scalefusion Android client app version should be 6.8.0
Step 1: Set the Activate Enrollment State flag on Dashboard
- Login to Scalefusion Dashboard
- Navigate to Android Utilities > Global Settings
- Scroll down and you'll see a setting Auto Activate newly Enrolled Kiosk/Company Owned Devices
- By default this setting is set to On. Disable this setting (Toggle it off)
- Click SAVE SETTINGS
- You will get a confirmation box which informs that if you Disable this setting you need to manually approve each device that enrolls.
- Click CONFIRM
- Next, enter your Scalefusion dashboard login password to confirm and click SUBMIT
You will get a confirmation message "Settings saved successfully".
Now whenever you will enroll your devices, they will not get locked and no policies will apply until you manually activate the devices.
Step 2: Client Enrollment Behaviour
After disabling the setting from Global Settings section, when you enroll your device you will get Waiting for Activation screen. At this point of time if you tap on Check Now, you will get a message "Device is not yet activated by admin"
Step 3: Activating Devices
On Scalefusion Dashboard, navigate to Devices section. The devices that are not activated have the status Not Activated
You can activate device in following ways:
Using Waiting for Activation Filter
Use this option to activate devices in bulk
- Click View drop-down and choose Waiting for ActivationHere, the devices are listed in 'List' view
- This filters and lists all the devices that are Waiting for activation (having Not Activated device status)
- Select the device(s) using the checkbox
- As soon as you select the device, on the top you will see Activate Selected devices which is placed before Delete button. Click on it.
- A confirmation box comes up informing that activating the device will change it to Locked state. Click CONFIRM
- On your device, on Waiting for Activation screen tap on Check Now. You will find the device activated with all the policies applied on it.
- On Dashboard, in the Devices section, the Device Status (of the device you just activated) changes to Locked.
From Device Details Screen
Use this option to activate one device at a time.
- Click on View Details of the device that is not activated. Devices that are not activated are marked by a checkmark icon over them.The devices are in 'Grid' view
- Click on the Gear icon. You will find following options:
- Change Device Name
- Full Device Information
- Add Notes
- Delete Device
- Click on Activate to activate the device.
- The same confirmation box comes up informing that activating the device will change it to Locked state. Click CONFIRM.
- On your device, on Waiting for Activation screen tap on Check Now. The device will be activated with all the policies applied on it.
- On Dashboard, in the Devices section, the the device you just activated is marked by a green lock icon which identifies that it has been Locked.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Would changing this setting to OFF impact all our enrolled devices?
Answer: No. The devices already enrolled will not be impacted. The devices enrolled after setting it to off, will get Waiting for Activation screen and will need to be manually activated.
Question: Would changing this setting to ON auto-activate all waiting for activation devices?
Answer: No. Only the newly enrolled devices will get automatically activated.