Enterprise Wifi Configuration for iOS Devices
Scalefusion's Wifi configuration feature helps you create a Wifi Network that can then be pushed to the devices, so that the Wifi network is automatically configured on them. On iOS devices, IT admins can also deploy Certificate-based Enterprise Wi-Fi configurations to enable employees to quickly plug and work when they enter enterprise networks.
In this guide we will see how to create Wifi configurations (Simple and Certificate based) on Scalefusion Dashboard and then apply them to iOS Device Profiles.
Before You Begin
- iOS Device Profile should be created
Creating a Wifi Configuration
- On Scalefusion Dashboard, navigate to Device Profile & Policies > Global Settings > Wifi Settings. This screen displays all the Wifi networks that you have created till now. Click on CREATE NEW > Enterprise For iOS to create a new Wifi configuration.
- The Wifi Configuration window is displayed with the following fields,
- Configuration Name: Enter a name for this configuration, to refer to it across Dashboard.
- SSID: Enter the SSID broadcast name for the Wifi.
- Hidden Network: Enable this if the network is hidden.
- Proxy Setup: Proxy is used to give access to few websites to the user connected to Wifi network. There are two types of proxy : Manual and AutomaticIf you do not want to setup a Proxy, keep it to None which is selected by default
- Manual: For manual proxy settings enter following values :
- User Name and Password
- Automatic: For Automatic proxy setting, enter the URL where pac file is hosted. Pac file has all the proxy settings which is set by admin.
- Manual: For manual proxy settings enter following values :
- These proxy settings get applied to devices connected to the same Wifi configuration.If proxy values are invalid/not working on device then system admin needs to fix. The Proxy setting values that are sent from dashboard to device can be checked on the device by going to System Settings > Wifi > Connected Wifi > Proxy settings.Internet will be lost on device if invalid proxy is set on it and the device will receive no further pushes until settings are corrected on both dashboard as well as device.
- Security Type: Select a Security Type from Dynamic WEP, WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise (iOS8 & later), Any
- Select Wifi Authentication methods. Scalefusion supports Enterprise Wifi for iOS in two modes, viz LEAP and PEAP. Select the checkboxes to choose them.
- LEAP - After selecting, give Username and Password for connection to Wireless Network
- PEAP - After selecting, give Username and Password for connection to Wireless Network. In addition, Certificates can be associated with PEAP mode. This is explained in next section.
- Once you have entered the relevant details, click on SUBMIT to save the configuration. The configuration will start appearing in the list of Wifi configurations.
Certificate-based Enterprise Wifi Profile
On iOS devices, certificates can be associated with Enterprise Wifi configurations. As a result, all the devices where this Wifi has been published as well as Wifi being pushed on new Profiles, it will be sent with the Certificate payload.
The certificate option is there for PEAP mode. To create a certificate-based Enterprise Wifi Configuration
- Follow the same steps as above (#a to #f)
- In the Wifi Configuration window, once you select the PEAP checkbox there would be an option (drop-down) to select Certificate (Identity and Trust) that are previously uploaded through Certificate Management.To learn about uploading Certificates on Scalefusion Dashboard, please click here
- Select certificates that need to be associated with the Wifi configuration, along with Outer Identity, TLS Minimum Version, TLS Maximum Version and click Submit
The Enterprise Wifi Configuration will be created and certificate(s) will get associated with it.
- The association between the Wifi and Certificate will be removed and a new payload of Wifi would be sent.
- The Certificate will get uninstalled from devices.
You can perform the following actions once Wifi Configuration is created:
- Publish: Click on the Publish button and select iOS Device Profiles and Devices to directly push the configuration on them.
- Edit: This opens the 'Update Configuration' window where you can edit the existing Configuration
- Delete: Deletes the Wifi Configuration
There are also some Global Settings through which you can give access to device-user to use the Wi-Fi connections and switch to other available Wi-Fi
Allow Users to access Wifi Connection inside the app
If enabled, this setting allows user to access Wifi connection from inside the Scalefusion app.
Allow users to connect/disconnect from WiFi Network
Once enabled, users are allowed to connect or disconnect from WiFi network
Delete Wifi Configuration from Device
Deletes Wifi Configuration from device. Select this to delete a Wifi configuration when you unpublish it from the device or devices are moved to a different profile.
Admins should use this option with caution as it will delete the configured Wifi from device and device may be disconnected
Use Legacy Connection Method
Allows you to use the Wifi connection method from the Settings on your device. Enable this option if you observe issues with connecting to the configured Wifi settings.
To apply Global settings, click Apply button after making selections.
Applying WiFi Configuration on iOS Device Profile
Now that Wifi configuration is created, it can be applied to the iOS Device Profile(s) and hence get configured on the devices on which the device profile is applied. Follow the steps below,
- Navigate to Device Management > Device Profiles section.
- Launch the Device Profile Wizard, by clicking on CREATE NEW PROFILE or select an iOS Device Profile and Edit it from the action panel.
- Navigate to Restrictions and click on NETWORK SETTINGS on the left panel and select the Wifi configuration that you have created,
- Click UPDATE PROFILE to save the changes to the device profile.
The Wifi Configurations will get applied to the devices on which this Device Profile is applied. If a certificate is associated with the selected Wifi configuration, then it will also get applied to the devices.