Mac (macOS) Device Profile
Device Profiles are a quick and easy way to group the common set of policies and then apply them to multiple devices. Any changes or edits to the Device Profile are applied to all the devices in that Profile without any further steps.
In Scalefusion, minimum of one Mac (macOS) Device Profile is mandatory to manage your Mac devices. Without a Device Profile, you cannot apply any policies to the device. You can create as many Device Profiles as you want and depending upon your organization structure.
Since a macOS Device Profile offers quite a lot of settings and policies, this document covers the basics of creating a profile and links to various settings in separate documents for easier understanding.
Before you Start
- Login to Scalefusion Dashboard.
- Complete the Configure APNs step.
Creating a macOS Device Profile
- Navigate to Device Management > Device Profiles section.
- Click on CREATE NEW PROFILE to launch the profile creator dialog.
- Select macOS tab. Enter a name for the Profile and click on SUBMIT.
- The Profile creator wizard will be shown. The Profile creation is divided into the following sections,
- Restrictions: Allows you to configure various restrictions on the device usage. Please refer to the Configuring Restrictions section to understand the various options available.
- Content Filtering: Allows you to set the Web Content Filtering options and whitelist websites. Use the Web Content Filtering section to understand how to use this feature.
- Exchange & Email: Allows you to push Exchange & Email settings. Refer to our Exchange & Email settings guide on how to configure it.
- Network Settings: Allows you to remotely push Wifi configurations on the managed device. Refer to our Network Settings guide to configure this section.
- Security & Privacy: Use this section to configure the various security and privacy settings options. Use the Security & Privacy section to configure these settings.
- Parental Controls: Allows you to set Time limits on the managed Mac device usage. Use the Parental Controls guide to get a better understanding.
- Once you have set the various policies, click on the SAVE button.
- Once a Device Profile is saved, it will be listed in the Device Profile section as shown below.
Applying a Device Profile to a Mac Device or Device Group
A Device Profile can be applied to one or multiple devices or Device Groups. Any changes in the device profile are automatically applied to all the devices in that profile or the device group. Follow the steps below to Apply it a device or a group,
- Navigate to Device Management > Device Profile and click on the device Profile.
- Click on APPLY button on the right hand side.
- In the Apply Profile window, you would see the Device Groups without a Mac Profile and Devices without a Mac Profile. Select either the Device Group tab or Devices tab, select the Groups OR Devices and click APPLY.
Switching the Device Profile on a Mac Device
The easiest way to switch Device Profiles on the Mac Devices is to create Device Groups and change the Device Profile on the group. However, If you have Mac devices that are not part of a device group and you want to switch the Device Profiles then please follow the steps below,
- Navigate to Device Management > Device Profile section. Select the Device Profile that is currently applied to the device.
- From the action panel on the right side, click on Delete icon and select Remove devices
- Select the device that you want to switch the profile and click on REMOVE
- Now refer to Applying a Device Profile to a Mac Device or Device Group section to apply the new Profile.