QR Code for Employee/User (BYOD) Owned Devices
QR Code or Device Enrollment Configurations are a quick and easy way to invite your users to enroll their personal devices. This lets you create multiple configurations with different Device Profiles for various departments in your organization and easily invite and track enrollments.
Before you Begin
- Make sure you completed APNs upload part as per Setting Up APNs.
- Make sure you have at-least one Device Profile as per Create an Apple Device Profile.
- Make sure that you have added Users that you want to Invite.
Creating a QR Code Configuration
- Once you are logged into Dashboard, navigate to Device & User Enrollment > QR Code.
- Click on CREATE to open the QR Code configuration wizard.
- Under the Basic tab provide the following details, and click NEXT
- Configuration Name: A name for this configuration
- Enrollment Type: Choose Personal (BYOD) if you want to invite users.
- Device Naming Convention: Choose a naming convention that will be used to auto-generate device names when the devices are enrolled.
- In the Group/Profile tab select an iOS Profile or a Group with iOS Profile and click NEXT
- You can choose a License that will be applied when devices are enrolled using this QR Code. Click SAVE to save the configuration profile.
- Once the configuration is saved, it will appear in the list. A configuration when expanded has the following options,
- Invite Users: Use this option to start inviting users that can enroll their devices.
- Email: Use this option to start inviting users that can enroll their devices.
- Edit - Helps you in editing the Configuration. Note that editing won’t impact the devices that are already enrolled.
- Deactivate - If you no longer wish to use this configuration or think it is compromised, then you can deactivate the config. Once Deactivated the configuration can be deleted.
Invite Users to Enroll their Devices
Now that you have created a configuration, let us go ahead and invite users to enroll their devices.
- Expand the QR Code and click on Invite Users to open the user invite wizard.
- The first section in User Invite wizard is to Configure Email. Once you have configured the email content, click NEXT
- Choose Platforms: If this configuration can be used for multiple platforms/enroll, then you can choose the platform. Basing on this the content of the email will be created.
- Edit the Welcome and Thank you Note: You can edit the welcome and thank you note by clicking on the dotted sections.
- Preview: Preview the Email that will be sent to user
- The next section is to Select Users where you can select the users to whom the enrollment email should be sent. Click SEND once you have selected the users.If you had not added/imported the users earlier, you can add the users from this screen by using the ADD USER option.
- If the email is valid the users will get an email as shown below,
Now that you have invited the user to enroll their devices, please refer to How to Enroll User/Employee Owned Devices to enroll a device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Can we limit the users to enroll only one Device or a iOS with specific Serial Number?
Answer: Yes. You can control how many devices a user can enroll or what are the Serial numbers allowed to enroll, by navigating to the Device & User Management > User Management and editing the user properties, as shown below,
Question: Our users see the following errors while enrolling the devices?
Answer: Make sure that you have not limited the user to enroll only a specific number of devices. You can manage the number of devices that a user can enroll under Device & User Management > User Management. Edit the user who has reported that issue and make sure that they are allowed to enroll the required number of personal devices as shown below,
Question: Our users see an error that "Profile Failed to Install" once they try to install the profile from User invite?
Answer: This can happen if you have restricted the user to enroll a iOS device with specific serial number and the serial number of the iOS device being enrolled does not match.