How to Setup Volume Purchase Program (VPP)
Volume Purchase Program by Apple allows an organization to find, purchase and distribute applications in bulk and then use an MDM like MobiLock to install them onto the corp-owned or employee devices. Organizations can choose to procure even Free applications using VPP program and distribute it via their MDM.
Apart from the fact that VPP is the only option to distribute paid applications in an organization, the other main advantage of using it is that it enables you as an administrator to silently install, update and uninstall applications on devices. This removes the dependency on configuring an iTunes account on each of the managed device and requires no user-interaction.
This document is the first of a two-part VPP help guide, and here first we focus on configuring VPP and then look and how to view, manage VPP assets.
Before you Start
- You would need an Apple-Id that is provisioned for Apple VPP access. To learn more about Apple VPP program and how to enroll your organization, please visit, https://deploy.apple.com/qforms/open/register/index/avs
- Complete the APNs registration part as described here.
Please watch the video below to get a visual walkthrough.
Step 1 - Configuring VPP in MobiLock
- Sign In to your MobiLock Dashboard.
- Navigate to Device Enrollment > Apple Setup.
- Click on the VPP tab and then click on ADD VPP ACCOUNT button.
- Click on the Apple VPP Portal link in blue.
- At this point a new tab will be opened and you will be navigated to the VPP portal of Apple.
- Sign In to the Apple VPP portal.
- Once signed in, click on Account Summary as shown below.
- Click on Download Token. This will download a file to your PC/Mac. Please remember the location of the device. The file name will be on the lines "sToken for <apple-id>.vpptoken".
- Now navigate back to MobiLock Dashboard. Click NEXT.
- Now upload the token that you downloaded from Apple VPP Portal and click NEXT.
- The following screen indicates that the process of setting up VPP with MobiLock is complete. MobiLock now attempts to sync the VPP applications that you may have already purchased under VPP program and the number of VPP Apps will be updated accordingly.
Step 2 - Sync, View & Manage your VPP assets
Once you have configured VPP, one of the next steps is to sync your VPP applications. Additionally you may want to view additional information related to your VPP applications like the number of licenses available and the devices where is it assigned. To facilitate this MobiLock provides a VPP Assets page. The following steps guide on how to use the VPP Assets page.
- Sign In to MobiLock Dashboard and navigate to Device Enrollment > Apple Setup > VPP tab.
- Once on the VPP tab click on the number displayed next to the VPP Apps label as shown below to navigate to VPP Assets page.
- You will see the following page.
- VPP Assets page offers you the following,
- List of All the VPP applications that you may have purchased using VPP.
- SYNC NOW - MobiLock auto-syncs your VPP app details every 6 hours, but if you want MobiLock to force-sync the applications then you can use this option.Please note, sometimes it takes around 5-10 minutes for the newly purchased app to appear in MobiLock VPP Assets page.
- Refresh Page Icon - A nifty shortcut to refresh the page
- Clicking on the Gear icon next to each application gives you the following options,
- View Assignments - Use this option to check on which devices this application has been installed.
- Sync Licenses - Use this option if you have just purchased new licenses and want to sync it with MobiLock dashboard.
- Purchase Licenses - Use this option as a handy shortcut to navigate the Apple VPP portal and buy additional licenses for this application.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Question: How much time does it take to sync my VPP applications?
Answer: MobiLock automatically syncs every 6 hours and updates the VPP applications. However you can force sync the VPP applications at any time, by navigating to the VPP Apps/Assets page and clicking on SYNC NOW button.
Question: Which Distribution Type should i select when purchasing a paid application?
Answer: When you are buying a paid application you would have to select the distribution type. You will be presented with the following two options,
Please select Managed Distribution option. MobiLock only supports managed distribution of paid applications. If you would like a quick visual guide, please refer to this video https://youtu.be/6NTMpRIc0Pg .
Question: How do I reclaim the app licenses that I distributed with my previous MDM Provider?
Answer: If you are migrating from another MDM provider, then there might be an use-case where the VPP App licenses are still consumed by the older devices and are not free. You can "Reclaim" by navigating to the VPP Assets page and then clicking on View Assignments option of the app as shown below