Remote Support for Windows devices
- How does it work
Scalefusion supports remote device troubleshooting on its managed Windows devices, through its Remote Cast and Control feature. The feature allows an IT Admin to remotely view and control the end user's device either in an unattended mode or driven by user consent, thereby allowing to resolve the IT issues with the device in a quick and efficient manner. Furthermore with Scalefusion's ITSM integrations, IT Admins can log a ticket for further debugging or escalation with the recorded videos and/or screenshots taken during the troubleshooting session.
As a result, Remote Cast & Control feature offers a number of benefits. To name a few:
- Unattended Remote Access: IT Admins can quickly and instantly set up a remote access session with devices located anywhere in the world without an end user present with the host device.
- Control Login Screen: Take remote control directly from Windows logon screen without any end user assistance.
- Switch Users: Admins can switch user accounts without having to disconnect from the session.
- Respond to UAC Prompts: View and respond to UAC prompts which appear on Secure Desktop.
- Lock/Unlock Screen: Admins can lock a device screen, and then unlock it again, remotely.
- User Consent: With this setting enabled, get user's consent before starting a remote cast session, else the session starts directly.
- Remote Keyboard and Mouse Control: Take control of end user's keyboard and mouse, remotely.
- Windows OS: Windows 10 Pro and above with minimum version 1809 or above, or Windows 11 should be installed on User’s Device.
- Supported Architectures: 32-bit, 64-bit.
- The device should be enrolled with Scalefusion.
- The latest version of Remote Support app for Windows should be installed on devices.
- On Windows Home (10 & 11) Remote Support app version 22.214.171.124 (or above) should be installed.
How does it work
- Install Remote Support app available on Scalefusion Dashboard on the device.
- Initiate Remote Session from Dashboard.
- Once started, Admins can take the control of user's device.
- View the current status of Remote session, logs, sync settings, and more.
Let us learn the detailed steps below.
Step 1: Install & Setup Remote Support app
The first step to use Remote Cast & Control on Windows devices is to install & setup the Remote Support app. The app acts as a primary entity which authenticates user’s device and Remote Cast & Control Session. Please follow the steps below to install:
- Navigate to Application Management > Scalefusion Apps. Click on Scalefusion Remote Support App for Windows and select PUBLISH
- Select the Windows Device profiles/Groups on which you want to install the application. Click on PUBLISH to confirm the installation.
- It will take few minutes for the app to get downloaded. You can check the status on dashboard from My Apps. If installed, it will show the status as 'Installed'
Remote Cast & Control Settings
When Remote Cast is used in security and privacy concerned domains like tablets with kids or with people in hospital care, if somebody takes a remote cast session, companies normally want to enforce recording of that session as a checkpoint for the agent taking the RCC session to make sure that everything is recorded.
To enable this, following settings have been provided that can be configured from Dashboard before starting a session and can be used as global settings for all admins.
The settings can be accessed from Settings button available in Remote Cast & Control on Scalefusion Dashboard. Clicking on Settings opens a dialog box where admins can configure them.
Auto-Record Remote Cast sessions
Enabling this automatically records the remote cast sessions. After the session is completed the recording gets downloaded to the IT Admins PC/Laptop.
If this setting is ON, session recording cannot be stopped.
Show consent screen before every session
If this flag is enabled, a dialog to take User Consent will come up and on user acceptance only, it will start screen sharing.
Step 2: Initiating a Remote Session
Once you have setup the Remote Support application as described in Step 1, follow the steps below to initiate a casting session.
- Clicking on Remote Cast & Control on the Dashboard will show you the list of devices that support casting and control. Click on Start Session option next to the device you want to start a screen sharing session with.
- The Remote Control column indicates if the device supports control feature or not. A cross (X) indicates that the device does not support and a tick (V) mark indicates that the device supports control.
- You will be navigated to the screen casting page with the following components,
- Cast Console: The area where the mirrored screen appears.
- Session Details: Displays the windows device name and model with which the session will happen
- CREATE TICKET: Create a Service Desk ticket - Supported only if you have integrated your ITSM tool.
- Start Session: Click on this button to start the session.
- Session Settings: If you want the user to give consent for starting the session, enable this toggle.
- Click on START SESSION to start the session.
- If the steps above are executed properly, then the screen that is currently running on the end user's device will be shown on the Scalefusion dashboard. The options while in an ongoing session are,
- Remote Control: The admin gets complete control of user's device, click anywhere on the screen, access apps etc. and perform required checks on user's device, all remotely.
- Full Screen: Use this option to go full screen.
- Take Screenshot: Use this option to take a screenshot of the shared screen.
- Stop Session: Use this option to stop the session.
- Start Recording: Use this option to start recording the session once it is started. After the session stops, the recording gets downloaded and can be accessed later.
- Device Level Actions: During remote session if admin wants to perform actions like rebooting device or lock/unlock device then they can do it from the same screen. Clicking on Settings button (next to full screen) pulls a menu with following actions to choose from:
- Refresh device
- Reboot Device
- Full Device Info
- Shortcut keys: Scalefusion supports few Windows shortcut Keys which can be used during remote sessions for troubleshooting. This also eases Admin's job. To use windows keys, click on the keyboard icon. This pulls up a menu with following key combinations:
- PrintScreenAdmins can only use these key combinations to perform operations on the end user's machine during a remote session and not from their machine onto user's machine.
- Switch between multiple Monitors: IT Admins can switch between multiple monitors during a remote support session. If there are multiple monitors connected, then there will be an additional option on the action/blue bar at bottom which would allow you to switch between Default and the other monitors.
Viewing status of Remote Session
Once Remote Support app is setup and installed, you can verify if it is successfully installed and also check the current status whether remote session is waiting to be initiated or already in progress. To verify,
- After successful installation of Remote Support app from dashboard, a shortcut for Remote Support app will get created on the Windows device.Remote Support will also be available in Programs list
- Double-clicking on it will launch a small window displaying the current status of Remote Cast session.
- If the session is not initiated, a message will be displayed Waiting for Admin to start the session.
- If the session is initiated and going on, message will be displayed as Remote Session is in progress.
- Following additional actions can be performed from this window:
- Refresh: Clicking on Refresh Button will update and display the current status of remote session, for example, if the session is going on then it will show as Remote Session is in Progress.
- View Logs: Clicking on this will display live logs of the remote support session. These logs can be used mainly for troubleshooting in case Remote Cast doesn't work. The logs will open in a new window and are displayed under three heads, viz. Service Log, Push Notification Log and User Agent Log.
- Refresh: Clicking on Refresh button manually refreshes the logs.
- Auto-refresh: Checking this box will automatically refresh the logs and take you to the last line as and when new logs are added. By default, auto-refresh is unchecked.
- Sync: This will sync the Remote Support settings with the server.
- Upload Logs: Uploads Remote Support application logs to backend. The logs help developers in detecting the issue if any problem occurs during Remote Cast session. After uploading the logs once, you can upload them again only after 30 minutes.
- There are certain keys and key combinations that are not supported on a remote session. They are,
- Combinations like Ctrl+Alt+Del
- Mouse Middle Button Scrolling
- Mouse Middle Button Click
- Mouse drag
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: I am getting the following error on launching Remote Support from the shortcut on device.
Answer: This usually happens when the Remote Support service has stopped running in the background. To make it work again, you need to restart the Remote Support service from the Services app on the device.