Enroll an iOS device to DEP using iPhone
Starting iOS 16.0 Apple has opened up the option to enroll an iOS device into Device Enrollment Program (DEP) through another iOS device. Device Enrollment Program gives an organization the extra control to enforce stricter policies and also an option to disallow the users from removing the Scalefusion management from device.
This document walks you through how to enroll an iOS 16.0 (iPhone or iPad) or higher device to DEP program using another iPhone.
Before You Begin
- Make sure that you have enabled Scalefusion to manage your DEP devices as described in Manage DEP Devices using Scalefusion.
- Two iOS devices with iOS 16.0 or above:
- Source device: The iPhone / iPad device using which you can make the other device DEP.
- Target device: The one to be enrolled under DEP.
- Source device should have a Wi-fi connection and must have Apple Configurator installed and configured.
- Admin should have access to Apple Business Manager account with Device Enrollment Manager role.
- A valid Scalefusion Dashboard account.
- Take a backup of your iOS device if required.
Procedure to enroll
Admin can add a new or erased iPhone or iPad.
- Start up the iPhone or iPad to be enrolled under DEP. If the device is in use, please factory reset the device first.
- Continue through the Setup Assistant. Stop on the screen where you see the Choose a Wi-Fi Network pane.You must restart the iPhone or iPad if you go past the Choose a Wi-Fi Network pane.
- Open Apple Configurator app on source device and bring it close to the target iPhone or iPad, then do one of the following:You should get a screen with an image on the target device
- Scan the image that appears in Setup Assistant (target device).
- Alternatively, tap Pair Manually on the Setup Assistant, then tap Pair Manually in Apple Configurator and enter the six-digit code that appears on target device, on the source device.
- On the source device, login to the Apple Business Manager account on Apple configurator tool to continue the setup.
- After logging in to ABM, the target device will start getting added to the ABM account.
- You will get a confirmation message on the target device once the device is added successfully.
- The serial number and other information about the iPhone or iPad will get uploaded to Apple Business Manager. Admin will have to login to ABM to check the device and assign the Scalefusion MDM server.
- Once Scalefusion MDM server is assigned, tap on the Erase iPhone button to complete the process.
- After the device is Erased, complete the device setup and the device will get enrolled into Scalefusion.
- During setup, the target device will connect with ABM and fetch settings from there. Once done, it will show the Remote Management screen.
- This completes the process of enrolling the device under DEP. On Scalefusion Dashboard, you can check the newly added device by going to Getting Started > Apple Setup > DEP.