Configuring ProSurf Browser - iOS
ProSurf Browser for iOS gives you a wide range of options. Some of these options are available at a browser level and some of them are available at a Website level. In this document we will walk through all the options available. We will also see how to setup a Device Profile so that ProSurf can be used as Kiosk Browser.
We suggest you Get a Cup of Coffee, as ProSurf offers quite a few configuration parameters!!
Before You Begin
- Make sure you have a valid Scalefusion Dashboard account.
- Make sure you have enabled ProSurf as described in our Enabling ProSurf guide.
- Cup of Coffee!!
Configuring ProSurf Browser settings
The first step is to configure the overall ProSurf browser settings. These settings work at the application level and allows you to control the overall application behavior. Please follow the steps below,
- Sign In to Scalefusion Dashboard.
- Navigate to Device Profiles & Policies > Allowed Websites section.
- Click on Browser Settings button.
- Click on ProSurf tab as shown below,
- In this dialog you will see various options. We have given the description of each option in the table below. Once you have configured the settings, click SAVE.
Display Browser Address Bar
If this option is enabled then the address bar is shown in the ProSurf app.
If you do-not want your user's to manually enter URL addresses then disable this.
Show Navigation Bar
If this option is enabled then users see the navigation bar and the related options.Disabling
this option, hides the navigation bar and the related options.
The related options are Print, Downloads, Request Desktop Site, Forward/Back navigation.
Allow Users to Print
If this option is enabled, then users can print the current webpage by using the Share option menu in Navigation bar.
Allow Users to View Downloaded Files
If this option is enabled then user's will be able to download and view the downloaded files.
Allows Users to Switch to Desktop Site
If this option is enabled then user's will be able to switch between desktop and mobile site's
using the Share option menu in Navigation bar.
Allow Back/Forward Navigation
Enable this option if you want the user's to navigate back/forward in the website.
Enable Allowed Websites to Open Tabs
Enable this option if you want the allowed websites to open new tab windows.
Always Browse in Incognito Mode
Enable this option if you want to enforce In-Private or Incognito browsing by default.
Allow Touch Interface
Disable this option if you do not want users to interact with your website.
Always Run in Full Screen Mode
Enable this option to hide the Notification bar by default. Note that user's can pull-down
the notification bar at any time.
Set a passcode to access Settings screen on device. The default is 2323
Use Settings Passcode to exit ASAM mode
When your website or user requests to exit ASAM mode , then users will be asked to enter
the settings passcode.
Enter ASAM Mode on Launch
Automatically lock down ProSurf app in single app mode when the application is launched.
Use Gesture to Exit ASAM Mode
By Enabling this users can tap 5 times continuously on the screen to exit single app mode.
Works only when ProSurf is running in Autonomous Single App Mode (ASAM)
Hide Settings Option on Launcher Screen
Use this option to Show/Hide settings option on the ProSurf home screen.
Allowing a Website and related Settings
Allowing websites gives you the ability to control which are the websites that are allowed to be opened using ProSurf application. Additionally you can configure various other properties to control the website behavior. Please follow the steps below,
- Navigate to Device Profiles & Policies > Allowed Websites section.
- Click on ALLOW A WEBSITE button,
- In the DETAILS section you get the following options,
- Website Name: The name for the website. This is used to refer to this website within the Dashboard and on the client this is the name used for the Bookmark/Shortcut.
- Website URL: The URL of the website.
- Visible on HomeScreen: Choose if a bookmark for this website should be placed on ProSurf home screen.
- Now click on IOS SETTINGS tab. This screen is divided into the following 3 sections,
- Upload an Icon: You can upload an icon for your website. This will be used by ProSurf when it shows the bookmark on home screen. If no icon is given then ProSurf tries to load the default icon for the webpage. This is also the icon that is used when this website is used as a web-clip.
- Safari Settings: These settings only apply when this shortcut is used with Safari. To learn more on how they work please refer to this document.
- ProSurf Settings: These are the settings that are used when the website is opened using ProSurf. Below table gives the details of these options,
Allow Top Level Domain
Enable this setting if you want to allow the complete domain rather than just the URL. For example if you want to allow all the pages and sub-domains in the domain mobilock, instead of just mobilock.in then enable this setting.
Allow Zoom Controls
Enable this setting if you want the end-users to pinch and zoom in your website.
Auto Play Videos
Enable this setting if you want the videos in the allowed website to be auto-played.
If you want your website to automatically refresh after every X seconds then set the value using this setting.
Clear Cache/Cookies on Auto-Refresh
Enable this option if you want the cache to be cleared every time the page auto-refreshes.This depends upon the Auto-Refresh value you have set.
Default to Desktop Mode
Enable this option to load the website in Desktop mode by default. User's can switchbetween modes if the setting is enabled in Browser Settings.
Always Load Root URL at Launch
Enable this option if you want the page to start loading from the root URLevery time the shortcut is clicked. This means the webpage will be closed when user minimizes it.
- Click SAVE once you are done and the newly added allowed website should appear in the list of websites.
Enabling ProSurf & publishing websites in Device Profile
Once you have configured the ProSurf browser settings and allowed the websites, the next step is to create/edit a iOS Device Profile and enable ProSurf and publish websites. The steps to do these are quite straight forward and are explained below,
- Navigate to Device Profiles & Policies > Device Profiles section.
- Create a new iOS Device Profile or edit an existing one.
- In the Select Apps section, enable the ProSurf application.
- In the Allowed Websites section, enable all the websites that you want in this device profile.
- In the Restrictions section, choose the settings depending upon how you want to use ProSurf,
- Use ProSurf as Kiosk Browser: In Single App Mode section, select ProSurf app, choose a Default URL to run always, and select a poll time so that ProSurf application can get latest settings, as shown below,
- Use ProSurf in Autonomous Single App Mode: In the Single App Mode section, choose Autonomous Single App Mode and enable privileges for ProSurf App as shown below,
- Use ProSurf as a normal Browser: No special steps are required. Please proceed to next step.
- Now click on SAFARI SETTINGS and choose to disable Safari as shown below,NOTE: Disabling Safari is an optional step. If Safari is also enabled then users might end up seeing two browsers which may cause confusion. Also the web-filtering logic might conflict between the two browser applications.
- Click on UPDATE PROFILE to save the profile. Once the Profile is saved, a push will be sent to the devices to install ProSurf application, if not already installed. Once ProSurf application is installed and launched on device, it will sync the settings from Dashboard.NOTE: ProSurf application can also be installed from Application Management > Scalefusion Apps section. If you are using a VPP subscription, then you can purchase licenses for ProSurf application so that it is installed silently.
Using ProSurf Browser on iOS Device
Once you have set up the Dashboard and pushed the ProSurf application from Dashboard, it will be installed on the devices. The following steps guides you through the flow on devices.
- Wait for the application to be installed on device. Once installed you would see the ProSurf app icon on home screen.
- Click on ProSurf app icon. You will be asked for the Notification permission. Please click on Allow.On Supervised Devices, Notification Permission will be automatically granted.
- Now the application will register itself to Scalefusion dashboard automatically.
- Once the registration is done, ProSurf home screen will be shown with the allowed websites and other settings.
- The following short video visually walks you through the process,