Whitelisting Websites on your Windows 10 Devices
Whitelisting websites or allowing only certain websites is a critical feature for a Device Management solution. Scalefusion offers IT Admins to control the browsing experience on the Windows 10 devices, by providing controls that access to the websites and control settings for Google Chrome and Windows Kiosk Browser.
The options to configure the Whitelist Websites available in a Windows Device Profile, however to use this feature completely first we need to create a master list of Websites that can be used. This document is divided into two sections, the first section guides you on how to create a master list of websites and the next section guides you on how to use the Whitelist websites settings in a Windows device profile.
Step 1: Creating a Whitelist Website
This section of the Scalefusion Dashboard is used to create a master list of websites that you want to provide access to your users. Follow the steps below to create a weblink,
- Navigate to Device Management > Whitelist Websites
- Click on WHITELIST A WEBSITE to launch the website creator dialog.
- Under the DETAILS section fill in the following information and click NEXT
- Website Name: The name of the Web-Clip when it is placed in the Dock.
- Website Link: The URL to the website. Note that we do not support wild-characters so it has to be the complete URL. Please make sure to use http:// or https:// prefix.
- Visible on Home Screen: This option is NOT APPLICABLE for Windows 10 Devices.
- The next two sections are specific ONLY to Android. Click NEXT
- This section is specific ONLY to iOS/macOS devices and hence does not apply. Click SAVE to add the URL to the master list.
- Once a Website has been created it will appear in the list as shown below.
Step 2: Publishing Whitelisting Websites in a Profile
Once you have the master list of whitelist websites ready, the next step is to allow them in the Device Profiles so that the users are restricted to only these websites.
- Navigate to Device Management > Device Profiles. Select a Windows Profile and Edit it or Create a New Windows Profile to launch the profile creation wizard.
- Navigate to the Whitelist Websites section.
- The Websites that you have created in Step 1 will be listed here. Enable the Websites that you want to whitelist in this Profile.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > UPDATE PROFILE to save the changes to the Device Profile.
- The settings will be pushed to all the Devices that have this profile currently applied automatically and will take effect on all the Devices with Google Chrome and/or Windows Kiosk Browser.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How can we control Microsoft Edge as users can use Edge for browsing websites that are not allowed?
Answer: We recommend disabling Microsoft Edge using the Application Policy (Select Apps section) in the Device Profile and having Google Chrome as the browser.
Question: How long does it take for the settings to take effect in Google Chrome and/or Windows Kiosk Browser?
Answer: The changes normally should take 1-2 minute(s), however sometimes the changes are applied on the next restart of Google Chrome or Windows Kiosk Browser.