Web Content Filtering aka Whitelist Websites for macOS
Scalefusion offers IT Admins to control the browsing experience on the macOS devices, by providing controls that access to the websites and apply Safari's content-filtering algorithms.
The options to control the Content-Filtering options are available in a Mac (macOS) Device Profile, however to use this feature completely first we need to create a master list of Websites that can be used with the Content Filtering options. This document is divided into two sections, the first section guides you on how to create a master list of websites and the next section guides you on how to use the Content Filtering settings in a Mac device profile.
This section of the Scalefusion Dashboard is used to create a master list of websites that you want to provide access to your users. Follow the steps below to create a weblink,
- Navigate to Device Management > Whitelist Websites
- Click on WHITELIST A WEBSITE to launch the website creator dialog.
- Under the DETAILS section fill in the following information and click NEXT
- Website Name: The name of the Web-Clip when it is placed in the Dock.
- Website Link: The URL to the website. Note that we do not support wild-characters so it has to be the complete URL.
- Visible on Home Screen: Enable this option, If you want to place a visual web-clip on the Dock. If it is hidden then it will be whitelisted but a web-clip will not be placed.
- The next section is specific to Android. Click NEXT
- Under the APPLE SETTINGS section you can choose a Logo for your Web-Clip. Click SAVE once done.
- Once a Website has been created it will appear in the list as shown below.
Enabling Content-Filtering in Mac (macOS) Device Profile
Now that we have created websites, we can go ahead and enable content-filtering in Device Profile. Follow the steps below to enable content-filtering,
- Navigate to Device Management > Device Profiles section.
- Launch the Device Profile Wizard, by clicking on CREATE NEW PROFILE or select a Mac Device Profile and Edit it from the action panel.
- Click on the Content Filtering option.
- The Content Filtering options are,
- Disable use of Siri and Dictation: Enable this if you want to disable the use of Siri and Dictation.
- Hide Profanity in Dictionary & Dictation: Enable this if you want to apply default macOS algorithm that applies the profanity filter.
- Configure Whitelist Websites: Enable this option to configure the whitelist websites. Once enabled you can choose from the following options,
- Allow Access to Whitelisted Sites Only: Enable this setting if you want to provide access only to the websites that are enabled from the list below.
- Limit Access to Adult Websites: Enable this setting to enforce Safari's default algorithm, along with it you can choose the websites that are allowed.
- Add Web-Clips to Dock: Select this option if you don't want to whitelist or apply any sort of content-filtering but just want to place Web-Clips on Dock.
- Whitelist Websites: This list will display all the websites that you have created previously. Select the websites that you want to enable in this Profile.
- Click SAVE on the top right to save the changes to device profile.