Remotely Install Android Apps from Google Play Store
Scalefusion integration with Google's Android Enterprise (Android for Work), gives you and the IT Admins the ability to Search, Approve, and Publish apps from Google Play Store directly to the devices.
If you have setup Android Enterprise and have enrolled the devices using either afw#mobilock or Zero-touch or BYOD, then Scalefusion creates a managed Google Play Store account on these devices. This account is used to automatically install the applications that are approved by you.
Follow the steps below to remotely approve and install applications for your Scalefusion managed devices.
Before you Begin
The first step is to approve applications from Google Play Store and add it your enterprise repository of applications.
- Navigate to Application Management from the left menu or top navigation bar and click on PLAY FOR WORK APPS. Here click on Add from Playstore to view the Google Play Store wizard.
- Enter the name of the application in the Google Play Store wizard and hit enter/return key to search for the application. This example shows how to approve Google Chrome to your app repository, you can add any application available in Play Store.
- Click on the application icon to see the app details. Click APPROVE to add the application in your repository.
- Before you add the application, you will be asked for your approval preferences. In the APPROVAL SETTINGS wizard choose the option from below and click SAVE.
- Keep approved: The app would stay approved but NOT silently updated. If there is an update for an approved application, then it needs to be published again.
- Revoke app approval: This option to revoke the app approval makes the application unapproved. The unapproved application requires a new permission and you need to search that application. After searching, re-approve and publish the application again.
- You can either choose to approve other applications or Click DONE.
Installing Play Store Applications
Now that you have added the applications to your app-repository, you can go ahead and enforce the installation of these applications on the devices.
- Navigate to Application Management from the left menu or top navigation bar and click on PLAY FOR WORK APPS. Here, click on the application and click PUBLISH
- In the Publish window, select the Device Groups or Device Profiles or Devices where you want to install this application and click PUBLISH. Please note that at any point of time, items in only one of the tabs can be selected for Publish. The publishing of apps can be overridden at app level by giving option to admin to configure installation mode.
Application Install BehaviorFor per-app control at the time of publishing the app, admins can choose to follow the profile setting or override it for this app by silently installing it or adding to PlayStore. Hence, there are three options to choose from:The Installation mode can be changed only when you are selecting Device Profiles. When Group/Devices is selected then only Silent Installation will work.Mode as per Profile: The app would be either installed silently or added to Play Store as per the settings in Profile. By default this is selected.
Silent Installation: This would attempt a silent installation of the application and also make it available in Managed Play Store for users to install it.
Add to Managed Play Store: This would make the application available in Managed Play Store and enabled when user installs it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How do we uninstall a previously installed application from selected devices?
Answer: Navigate to Enterprise > My Apps > Play for Work Apps. Click on the application icon and from the side panel, click on UNINSTALL. Select the Device Groups or Device Profiles or Devices and confirm the uninstallation.
Question: How do we completely delete and uninstall a previously installed application from all our devices?
Answer: Navigate to Enterprise > My Apps > Play for Work Apps. Click on the application icon and from the side panel click on the delete icon. From the options select Delete & Uninstall.
Question: Our application requires a lot of runtime permissions like Storage, Camera etc. Can we auto-grant them remotely?
Answer: Yes. Navigate to Enterprise > My Apps > Play for Work Apps. Click on the application icon and from the side panel click on the Permissions button. Please refer to our document here.
Question: We need to remotely configure our applications by providing it setup data. How do we do it?
Answer: Please refer our Application Configuration guide to remotely configure apps.