Enrolling a Corporate Owned Mac (macOS) Device
To remotely manage your Mac devices, they need to be enrolled to the Scalefusion Dashboard. If you have procured your Mac devices under Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP) program then you can automate the enrollment right when the devices are unboxed for the first time. Please refer to our DEP guide on how to setup DEP and sync DEP devices.
However if you are using Mac devices that are not under DEP program, then you would have to manually enroll them to Scalefusion Dashboard. In this document we will see how to enroll your Mac device.
Before You Begin
- Complete the Configure APNs step.
- Create a macOS Device Profile.
- Create an Enrollment Configuration for Company Owned Mac.
- Have physical access to a Mac device.
Enrolling a Mac (macOS) Device
- Power on the Mac device and Sign in to the user that you want to manage.
- Launch Safari. Sign In to Scalefusion Dashboard, navigate to Devices & User Enrollment > QR Code. Click the button “Show Enrollment URL” and click ‘Copy’ to copy the enrollment URL from the enrollment configuration.
Now, follow these steps:
- Open a new tab in Safari and paste the URL that you copied. This will download a *.mobileconfig file to your computer. Normally this is Downloads folder.
- If you are using Google Chrome, then you may see a warning asking you to confirm the download. Click on Keep to confirm the download.
- If you have enabled Auto-Open in Safari/Google Chrome, then once the download is complete, you will be automatically redirected to Step 5.
- Open a Finder window and navigate to the location where the *.mobileconfig file is downloaded. Double click on the file to start the enrollment.
- This will open the System Preferences pane and the following dialog will be shown. Click on Install to proceed with enrollment.
- You will be shown the details of the enrollment profile and asked to confirm the installation. Click Install
- If you are enrolling from a non-administrator user, you will be asked to enter administrator credentials to confirm the installation. Please enter the administrator credentials and Click OK.
- It will take around a minute or so for the enrollment to complete and you will see the following screen,
- It will take around 2-3 minutes for the enrollment to be complete and the following screen confirms that the enrollment is complete. As mentioned in the Device and User Policies section, you would see 3 Profiles that are installed,
- Device Profiles: This section lists all the Profiles/Policies that are applicable at a device level. The items marked 1 & 2 are device level profiles and the policies applied by these profiles are applied to all the users of this machine.
- User Profiles: This section lists all the Profiles/Policies that are applicable at a user level. Identified by the point 3 in the image below, these policies are applicable only to the Mac user account from where the enrollment was done.
- Now if you Login to the Scalefusion Dashboard and navigate to the Devices section you would see the newly enrolled device, confirming the successful enrollment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: We get an error while installing the *.mobileconfig file and the enrollment fails when installing the profile. What might be the reason?
Answer: Make sure that the device is not enrolled in any other test account that you might have created with Scalefusion. Also make sure that you have completed the APNs setup or renewed your APNs certificate if it has expired.
Question: Although the enrollment is complete, we see that none of the policies are applied and the device appears as Unnamed in Scalefusion Dashboard?
Answer: This can happen if you have not completed the APNs setup or if your APNs certificate has expired. Please complete the APNs setup or renew the certificate.
Now that you have enrolled your device, head over to Device Information & Actions document to see the device information that is collected and the various actions that can be performed.