Enrolling Android devices using QR Code
QR Code or Device Enrolment Configurations are a quick and easy way to enrol your Android devices. By creating a QR Code configuration, you can choose the default Group or Profile and a naming convention for the devices that are enrolled using this QR Code.
QR Code enrollment allows you to skip the entire process of entering/sharing credentials or license keys and cuts down the time of enrollment.
This tutorial guides you through the process of creating a QR Code configuration & how to use MobiLock Pro client to enrol using QR Codes.
Before You Begin
- You have created at least one Android Profile on MobiLock Dashboard.
- MobiLock Pro Android client v3.6.0 has been updated on device.
How It Works
- Administrators of MobiLock Dashboard can create QR codes and distribute it to their employees or IT team.
- Employees or IT team can download the MobiLock Pro client from Google Play Store and scan the QR Code. Once the QR code is scanned, permissions page is shown directly.
Create a QR Configuration on MobiLock Dashboard
- Once you are logged into Dashboard, navigate to Device Enrollment > QR Code.
- Click on CREATE.
- This will open a Dialog where you need to do the following,
- Enter a Configuration Name.
- Choose either a Device Group OR an Android Profile OR an Apple Profile.
- Specify a Device Naming Convention that will be used to auto-generate device names.
- For this demo, Enter a Configuration Name, choose the Android Device Profile that you have created earlier an a naming convention. Once you have entered the details, click SAVE.
- Once the configuration is saved, it will appear in the list. A configuration has the following things,
- QR Code - That can be used to scan using the MobiLock Pro client v3.6.0 and above.
- Enrollment URL - This is not required for Android devices at present.
- The additional actions on a Configuration are,
- Download - This will download the configuration file that can be used to auto-enroll Android devices, by copying them to /sdcard/.
- Email - This will send an email to your account with QR Code and the details on how to set up.
- Edit - Helps you in editing the Configuration. Note that editing won’t impact the devices that are already enrolled.
- Deactivate - If you no longer wish to use this configuration or think it is compromised, then you can deactivate the config.
- Rotate - If you think that the configuration is compromised, you can use this option. This will generate a new QR Code and URL. Note that the previous QR Code and URL will no longer be valid.
Steps on MobiLock Pro Client
- Install MobiLock Pro client v3.6.0 and above.
- Open the QR Code image or view it on Dashboard, clearly.
- Launch MobiLock Pro client.
- Depending upon the phone type, do the following,
- If you are using a Phone, click on 3 dots Menu on top right and select Scan QR Code
- If you are using a tablet, then click on the Scan QR Code button.
- You would be shown a Camera View. Point this Camera to the QR Code on your screen so that en entire QR Code fits in the frame and can be scanned.
- If the QR Code is valid and your account has valid licenses, then the device will login and show you the permissions screen.