Remote Cast & Control for Android
Scalefusion Remote Cast and Control feature allows the admin/ group admin to remotely view and control the device’s screen in real time. This gives the admin, remote access to the registered devices and troubleshoot any issues with the devices which are on the field used by agents or are setup as standalone kiosks.
Before you Begin
- Make sure that you have either an Enterprise Plan subscription or if you are IN-Trial then you have requested the access for this feature.
- An Android device that has been enrolled to Scalefusion MDM.
- To test Control, please use either Samsung, Sony, LG or one of the devices where we have an OEM partnership.
Feature vs Support Matrix
The following table lists the features and the support matrix,
Casting device screen
This feature allows you to mirror the screen of remote Android device.
Any Android 5.1 Device
Remotely Control the device screen.
Make a voice Call to the Device
Any Android 5.1 Device
Keyboard & Clipboard Redirection
This feature allows you to use your computer's keyboard to type in a controlled devices's input fields.
Only Remote Control supported devices
Allows admin/ group admin to push a file from their system to a connected device and/or pull a file from a connected device to their system even when a remote cast session is not initiated.
Any Android device version 5.1 or above
Step 1: Install & Setup Remote Cast Android Client
The first step to use Remote Cast on Android devices is to install & setup the client. Please follow the steps below to do the same,
- Navigate to Enterprise > My App. Click on Scalefusion Remote Cast App for Android and select PUBLISH
- Select the profiles where you want to install the application. Click on PUBLISH to confirm the installation.
- On the Device, wait for the App to be downloaded. Once the app is downloaded, click on it it start the installation.
- The application will be silently installed on supported devices.
- Launch the Remote Cast app. The first time you launch it, you need to grant the required permissions to start using Remote Cast and its features. Click on GRANT PERMISSION on each card and grant the permissions. The permissions are,
- Battery Optimization Exception: Exempt RC app from battery optimization. This helps to cast the device even when it is in locked state.
- Audio Permission: Grant the Microphone permission. This will be used for VoIP calls.
- Draw Over Other Apps: Grant the permission to allow RC app to draw overlays on the device.
- Grant Root Access: If your device is rooted, then grant this permission so as to use the Control feature.
Step 2: Initiating a Remote Cast & Control Session
Once you have setup the Remote Cast application as described in Step 1, follow the steps below to initiate a casting session.
- Clicking on Remote Cast & Control on the Dashboard will show you the list of devices that support casting and control.
- The Remote Control column indicates if the device supports control feature or not. A cross (X) indicates that the device does not support and a tick (V) mark indicates that the device supports control.
- Click on Start Session option next to the device you want to start a screen sharing session with. You will be navigated to the screen casting page with the following components,
- Cast Console: The area where the mirrored screen appears.
- Navigation Keys: Control panel to send navigation and power-off events.
- CREATE TICKET: Create a Service Desk ticket - Supported only if you have integrated your ITSM tool.
- Allow User to Stop Session: Shows the user a stop button so that they can quit the session. This needs to be enabled/disabled before the session is started.
- Enable Voice Call: Enable this to be able to use voice call in the ongoing session. This needs to be enabled/disabled before the session is started.
- Start Session: Click on this button to start the session.
- Start Recording: Use this option to start recording the session once it is started.
- Click on START SESSION to start the session. Android Security measures enforce that the end-user has to accept a Remote session on the device. On the device the following screen would be displayed, please click OKAY.
- Click on the START NOW option, to start the Remote Cast session.
- If the steps from 1 to 4 are completed properly, then the screen that is currently running on the device will be shown on the dashboard. The options while in an ongoing session are,
- Control: If the device supports control, then you can click anywhere on the screen to control it.
- Back: Use this option to simulate Back key behavior.
- Home: Use this option to simulate Home key behavior.
- App Switcher/Recents Apps: Use this option to simulate app-switcher or recent key behavior.
- Power Off: Use this option to simulate power button behavior.
- Full Screen: Use this option to go full screen.
- Snapshot: Use this option to take a snapshot.
- Lock/Unlock: Use this option to Lock/Unlock device.
- Stop Session: Use this option to stop the session.
- Start Recording: Use this option to start the recording of the screen.
VoIP calling allows you to have a internet based call while you are taking a screen cast session. Please follow the steps below to use this feature,
- Enable the Voice Call option before you start the session.
- On your browser, you will be asked for Microphone permission. Click Allow.
- Click the CALL button on Dashboard.
- The users will see an Incoming call notification. Clicking on accept will start the voice session.
- To disconnect the call, either click Hang Up or the user can click End call option on the device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What are the special steps that we need to get control on remote access?
Answer: There are no special steps, but you need to grant the root access to Remote Cast app while setting up the device.
Question: What are the brands/devices where Remote Control is supported?
Answer: The following devices support Remote Control,
- Samsung Device with Knox Support
- Sony Devices with Enterprise SDK support
- LG Devices with LG Gate SDK support*
- Lenovo Tablets*
- HP Prime series*
- Zebra Devices with MX version 8.3 and above and OS version*
- Any other partner OEM with custom SDK/platform signing for Wingman app*
Question: What is Wingman app or We have a custom OEM device, can we control the devices?
Answer: We have built an add-on application - Wingman, that can be used to get control of devices. However the add-on application needs to be signed by the system signature of the device. This can be done by OEM/ODM only, so if you are an OEM or have a direct partnership with OEM, do let us know and we will share the unsigned apk.
Question: We got the Wingman app signed from our OEM/ODM, what are the next steps?
Answer: Please share the Wingman app with us and we will make it available for your devices. Once it is available, navigate to Enterprise > My Apps > Scalefusion Apps and publish Wingman application. Once the app is published on the device, install the application. The device will now start supporting control.
Do reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or are facing any issues during setup or usage of this feature.