QR Code Configuration for Android Corporate Devices
QR Code or Device Enrollment Configurations are a quick and easy way to enroll your Android devices. By creating a QR Code configuration, you can choose the default Group or Profile and a naming convention for the devices that are enrolled using this QR Code.
QR Code enrollment allows you to skip the entire process of entering/sharing credentials or license keys and cuts down the time of enrollment.
This tutorial guides you through the process of creating a QR Code configuration & how to use Scalefusion app to enroll using QR Codes.
Before You Begin
✅ You have created at least one Android Profile on Scalefusion Dashboard.
✅ Scalefusion app with Android v3.6.0 or above has been installed on device.
How It Works
- Administrators of Scalefusion Dashboard can create QR codes and distribute it to their employees or IT team.
- Employees or IT team can download the Scalefusion app from Google Play Store and scan the QR Code. Once the QR code is scanned, permissions page is shown directly.
Create a QR Configuration on Scalefusion Dashboard
- Once you are logged into Dashboard, navigate to Enrollment Configurations ➞ QR Code Configurations.
- Click on CREATE.
- This will open the configuration creator dialog, which is divided into 3 sections as explained below,
- Basic: Use this section to set the following:
- Configuration Name: A name for this configuration
- Enrollment Type: Choose Kiosk/Agent. This will be used to create a configuration that will be used to enroll corporate devices.
- Device Naming Convention: Choose a naming convention that will be used to auto-generate device names when the devices are enrolled using this configuration.
- Device Configuration: There are two additional settings under this:
- Allow Users to Enter a Name for Device: If this is selected then users are allowed to set the device name from the device when they enroll it.
- Allow Users to Enter values for Custom Properties: When this flag is selected, users can set values for the custom fields (from the device at the time of enrollment) that are defined through Custom properties.By default both these settings are unchecked
- Group/Profile: In this section select the Device Group or Profile, that will be applied to the devices that enroll using this configuration. For Kiosk type enrollment configurations only Android Kiosk Profiles can be selected.
- The Optional Settings section helps you set a default license for the devices enrolled using this configuration. This is an optional section and can be left blank. If the selected licenses has no free slots or this option is left blank, then the next available license is used to enroll the device.Enrollment Network Settings are configured to speeden up the enrollment process when you are enrolling via 6-times tap and scan a QR.
- Basic: Use this section to set the following:
Once you have filled in all the details in the 3 sections, click on SAVE to save the configuration.
- Once the configuration is saved, it will appear in the Device Enrollment Configuration list.
For Android devices, click on the button ‘Show Android QR’ under the Android tab. This will show the QR code which can be used to scan using Scalefusion app on your device and enroll it.You can search for a particular configuration using Search feature and also sort the configurations by Configuration name. (Please see screenshot below)
- Following additional actions can be performed on a configuration:
- Download Config - This will download the configuration file that can be used to auto-enroll Android devices, by copying them to /sdcard/.
- Email - This will send an email to your account with QR Code and the details on how to set up.
- Edit - Helps you in editing the Configuration. Note that editing won’t impact the devices that are already enrolled.
- Deactivate - If you no longer wish to use this configuration or think it is compromised, then you can deactivate the config.
- Rotate - If you think that the configuration is compromised, you can use this option. This will generate a new QR Code and URL. Note that the previous QR Code and URL will no longer be valid.
Steps on Scalefusion App
- Install the latest Scalefusion app.
- Open the QR Code image or view it on Dashboard, clearly.
- Launch Scalefusion app.
- Click on Enroll button.
- Click on Corporate tab and select QR Code.
- You would be shown a Camera View. Point this Camera to the QR Code on your screen so that en entire QR Code fits in the frame and can be scanned.
- If the QR Code is valid and your account has valid licenses, then the device will login and show you the permissions screen.
- Proceed to grant all the required permissions to Scalefusion app and complete the setup.
For a complete step by step guide on how to enroll your corporate owned Android devices, please refer to our guide on Enrolling Corporate-Owned devices.