How to make a iOS Device Supervised
A Supervised iOS device allows you to enforce stricter policies and control more features on the device. For a corporate owned iOS device, it is quite helpful to make a device supervised so that you can get enhanced control on the device.
Apple has provided with a mechanism to convert any device to a Supervised device using the Apple Configurator2 (AC2) software. In this guide we will walk you through on how to make the device a Supervised and enroll into MobiLock Dashboard at the same time.
- Make the device Supervised.
- Enroll the device to MobiLock Dashboard.
Before you Begin
- Make sure you have valid MobiLock Dashboard account.
- You have created an Apple Profile in MobiLock Dashboard.
- You have created a QR Code configuration in MobiLock Dashboard.
- You have an iPhone or iPad and a lightning USB cable.
- You have a Mac computer with Apple Configurator 2 installed.
- Backup your iPhone or iPad data as the process is going to erase the device.
- Sign out of the iTunes Account and iCloud if you are signed into.
Please watch the video below to get a visual walkthrough.
On MobiLock Dashboard
- Login to MobiLock Dashboard.
- Navigate to the QR Code section. Expand the QR Code that you want to enrol the iPhone into.
- Copy the URL that you see below the QR Code.
On Mac Machine
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac machine.
- Launch Apple Configurator 2. Click on Trust if your mac machine shows the prompt.
- You should see your device in the AC2 tool.
- Right click on the device frame that you see in AC2.
- Select Prepare.
- You will see a screen with the following options, make sure you have selected the following options,
- From the Prepare With dropdown, select Manual Configuration.
- Uncheck Add to Device Enrollment Program.
- Check Supervise Devices.
- Check Allow Devices to Pair with other computers.
- Uncheck Enable Shared iPad.
- Click Next.
- Here you will be asked to choose if you want to Enroll into an MDM or Not. Choose New Server from the server dropdown. Click Next.
- You will be shown a screen to Define the MDM server.
- In the Name field enter MobiLock Pro.
- In the URL field enter the URL that you had copied from MobiLock Dashboard.
- Click Next.
- AC2 will validate the URL and ask you to confirm if you trust the server. Click Next.
- You will be asked to enter the Apple-Id. Click Skip.
- You will be asked to enter the Organization details. This is your organization details so enter the relevant fields and click Next.
- You can choose a Supervisioning identity, that is what are the options that you want to skip during erase and setup. Choose an existing one or define a new one.
- Once you are ready, Click Prepare.
- Click Erase on the warning that appears. This will Erase the date so make sure that you have taken a backup of data.
- The device will now reboot and enroll to MobiLock and at the same time become supervised.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: If I have multiple devices, do I have to repeat the above steps for each one of them?
Answer: Technically Yes. Each device needs to be supervision'ed separately. However Apple Configurator 2 can detect multiple devices, so you can use a USB Hub and connect multiple iOS devices. Once all the devices appear in Apple Configurator 2, hold down the shift key to select those devices and then perform the same steps as mentioned above.
Question: Can I just make the devices Supervised first and enroll to MobiLock later?
Answer: Yes. In-fact if you are enrolling multiple devices at one shot using a USB Hub then we would recommend that you select "Do Not Enroll in MDM" ate step 8 above and skip step 9 and 10. This will erase the device and make it supervised, you can then Enroll the device using QR Code.