How to make a iOS Device Supervised
A Supervised iOS device allows you to enforce stricter policies and control more features on the device. For a corporate owned iOS device, it is quite helpful to make a device supervised so that you can get enhanced control on the device.
Apple has provided with a mechanism to convert any device to a Supervised device using the Apple Configurator2 (AC2) software. In this guide we will walk you through on how to make the device a Supervised and enroll into MobiLock Dashboard at the same time.
- Make the device Supervised.
- Enroll the device to MobiLock Dashboard.
Before you Begin
- Make sure you have valid MobiLock Dashboard account.
- You have created an Apple Profile in MobiLock Dashboard.
- You have created a QR Code configuration in MobiLock Dashboard.
- You have an iPhone or iPad and a lightning USB cable.
- You have a Mac computer with Apple Configurator 2 installed.
- Backup your iPhone or iPad data as the process is going to erase the device.
Please watch the video below to get a visual walkthrough.
On MobiLock Dashboard
- Login to MobiLock Dashboard.
- Navigate to the QR Code section. Expand the QR Code that you want to enrol the iPhone into.
- Copy the URL that you see below the QR Code.
On Mac Machine
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac machine.
- Launch Apple Configurator 2. Click on Trust if your mac machine shows the prompt.
- You should see your device in the AC2 tool.
- Right click on the device frame that you see in AC2.
- Select Prepare.
- You will see a screen with the following options, make sure you have selected the following options,
- From the Prepare With dropdown, select Manual Configuration.
- Uncheck Add to Device Enrollment Program.
- Check Supervise Devices.
- Check Allow Devices to Pair with other computers.
- Uncheck Enable Shared iPad.
- Click Next.
- Here you will be asked to choose if you want to Enroll into an MDM or Not. Choose New Server from the server dropdown. Click Next.
- You will be shown a screen to Define the MDM server.
- In the Name field enter MobiLock Pro.
- In the URL field enter the URL that you had copied from MobiLock Dashboard.
- Click Next.
- AC2 will validate the URl and ask you to confirm if you trust the server. Click Next.
- You will be asked to enter the Apple-Id. Click Skip.
- You will be asked to enter the Organization details. This is your organization details so enter the relevant fields and click Next.
- You can choose a Supervisioning identity, that is what are the options that you want to skip during erase and setup. Choose an existing one or define a new one.
- Once you are ready, Click Prepare.
- Click Erase on the warning that appears. This will Erase the date so make sure that you have taken a backup of data.
- The device will now reboot and enroll to MobiLock and at the same time become supervised.