Remotely Configure Google Chrome for Android Devices
Scalefusion offers features to provide the users with a controlled browsing experience. You as an IT Admin can whitelist websites that are allowed for use and also place shortcuts on Scalefusion app home screen so that users can instantly access them. These whitelisted websites are opened using Scalefusion Browser.
Google Chrome offers one of the best browsing experiences on Android devices and sometimes you may prefer to enable Google Chrome on the devices to access the Whitelist websites instead of Scalefusion Browser.
Android Enterprise (Android for Work) devices and Application Configurations, help you to get complete control over Google Chrome. With Scalefusion integration with Chrome configurations, you can manage the whitelisting controls and enhance the browsing experience even better.
Follow the steps below to integrate Scalefusion Whitelisting Website feature with Chrome configurations.
The first step is to whitelist websites in Scalefusion Dashboard that can be pushed to the devices.
- Navigate to Device Management > Whitelist Websites and Click on Whitelist a Website
- Enter the following details and click NEXT
- Name: A name for the shortcut that will be created on the Scalefusion home screen.
- Website Link: The well-formatted URL for the website.
- Visible on Homescreen: Choose if the shortcut should be visible on Scalefusion home screen or not.
- The Android Settings tab is specific to Scalefusion Browser and the settings are NOT Used when the shortcut is opened with Google Chrome. So click NEXT and then SAVE.
- Once it has been added, use the Publish option to publish the website shortcut to the selected device groups, profiles or devices. You can publish the websites from Whitelist Websites section or use the Device Profile to whitelist the required websites.
Configuring Google Chrome
Now that you have added websites to be whitelisted, you can proceed to the step of creating the configurations.
- Search and Install Google Chrome from Play for Work apps as described here.
- Navigate to Enterprise > My Apps > Play for Work Apps and click on Google Chrome icon to see the side panel.
- Click on the App Configurations tab and click CREATE.
- Importing the Whitelist Websites: Use the button IMPORT FROM WHITELIST WEBSITES to select and import the whitelist websites that you have created earlier. This will add the website URL in a format that Google Chrome configuration accepts.
- Blocking All Except Whitelisted: Scroll down in the application configuration window and select Block All Except whitelisted so as to block all other websites except whitelisted.
- Scalefusion Settings: From the top bar click on the Scalefusion Settings to control the settings. The options are,
- Use Chrome to open Scalefusion Whitelist Website Shortcuts: Enabling this will open the Whitelist websites in Google Chrome custom tabs on devices.
- Auto-Whitelist Future Whitelist Website in this Configuration: Enable this to automatically add any websites that you whitelist in Device Management > Whitelist Websites section.
- Google Chrome offers a bunch of other configurable parameters that are divided into the following tabs,
- NETWORK: Grouping of all network related features.
- SECURITY: Grouping of all security related features.
- SEARCH: Grouping of all search related features.
- URL FILTERING: Grouping of all url-filtering related features.
- Once you have made the required changes, click SAVE to save the configuration.
- When this configuration is published the devices then the shortcuts on the device will be opened using Google Chrome.