Access Point Name for iOS Devices
Access Point Name or an APN configuration are cellular carrier provided settings that allow a device to access internet via the cellular data (SIM Card). Often times, an Enterprise can partner with a cellular carrier and get custom APN settings that restrict the usage of cellular data on Corporate devices.
Depending upon the APN configurations allow the devices to access the corporate devices directly without the need for a specific VPN service. These settings also can restrict the data usage on devices where the SIM card are also corporate owned.
MobiLock lets an enterprise define their APN settings on MobiLock Dashboard and then push to iOS Device Profiles, so that they are automatically configured on the managed devices.
Support for Access Point Name (APN)
Configuring Access Point Name works with both Supervised and non-Supervised iOS Devices.
Creating an Access Point Name (APN) Configuration
The first step is to create an Access Point Configuration on MobiLock Dashboard. Follow the steps below to create an APN configuration on MobiLock Dashboard,
- Sign In to MobiLock Dashboard.
- Navigate to Utilities > APN Settings and click on CREATE to see the APN configuration creator.
- In the APN Configuration creator enter the following details,
- Configuration Name: The name that is used to identify the configuration in MobiLock Dashboard.
- Platform Type: Choose iOS.
- Configuration Details: Enter the configuration details as provided by your cellular carrier/operator. In iOS there are two APN types that can be configured,
Please contact your carrier/cellular provider to get exact details on which type of APN should be used.You can configure either of the Default or Data APN. Both are NOT mandatory. These settings depend upon your cellular carrier,
- Default APN or Attach APN: Configure the default APN settings.
- Data APN: Configure the data APN specific settings. Frequently used Data APN settings.
The name of the APN as provided by carrier.
Choose the authentication type, the available options are PAP or CHAP.
Enter the username if your carrier has provided one.
Enter the password if your carrier has provided one.
Supported IP Versions
Select the supported IP Version as provided by your carrier.
The Access Point name of the Data APN.
Choose an authentication type between PAP or CHAP for the data APN.
Enter the username for the Data APN, if provided by carrier.
Enter the password for the Data APN, if provided by carrier.
Supported IP Versions
Select the supported IP versions between None, IPv4, IPv6 or Both. These values are provided by carrier.
Supported Roaming IP Versions
Select the supported IP versions when roaming. The options are None, IPv4, IPv6 or Both. These values are provided by carrier.
Enter the server address as provided by the carrier.
Enter the Port number for the server address as provided by carrier.
- After you have entered all the details, click SAVE.
- Once the configuration is saved, it will appear in the list of configurations as shown below.
Publishing an Access Point Configuration
- From the list of APN configurations, click on the Publish button on the configuration that you want to publish.
- From the list of Device Profiles, select the profile and Click PUBLISH.
- The configuration will be pushed to the devices and on supported devices it will be configured.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How many APN configurations can we publish to a Device Profile?
Answer: At this point MobiLock supports only one configuration to be published on a device.
Question: Why doesn't the APN configuration work even though it appears as if it is applied on Device?
Answer: For the APN configuration to work the following must be true,
- The device should have a valid SIM card.
- If an APN is already configured on the device, please remove it.